Playing with poi is a lot of fun! Spin Poi can be done sitting or standing and is suitable for almost everyone.
On top of the usual benefits of exercise, typically people will see improvements in grip strength, attention, focus, balance and coordination. For her PhD, Kate studied the effects of poi as an exercise in active, older people. She measured some of the above factors before they started exercising, then split them into two groups. One did Tai Chi and the other did Spin Poi. Both groups had improvements but the Spin Poi group improved more than the Tai Chi group in some areas. See more about Kate’s research in the video clip at the bottom of the page.
About the classes:
- No need to book for live classes, but let me know if you’re coming to Zoom.
- You will need your own poi for Zoom classes. Poi are provided for live classes. Or there some new sets available for sale if you want your own personal set.
- Suitable for beginners to intermediate.
- All ages welcome.
- Can be done seated or standing
- The class is about 40-45 minutes long and we cover:
o Welcome, safety reminders & warm up
o Practice poi movements
o Playtime! Enjoy playing poi to a variety of different music
o Cool down
Current timetable (see timetable link for actual dates and more info):
- Tuesday ~ 2pm ~ Your house via Zoom (email me for the link) ~ $10 waged / $5 seniors or unwaged
- usually 2nd and last Thursday of each month ~ 12pm ~ Te Pokapū Hapori (the Y), 105 Manners St, Wellington CBD ~ $5 (or koha)
Learn more about spin poi at www.spinpoi.com