Gut and Psychology Syndrome, by Natasha Campbell-McBride, is a well-researched, science-based summary of the genetic-nutritional-biochemical factors that link Autism, ADD, ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Depression and Schizophrenia to digestive dysfunction. Dr. Campbell-McBride applied her training in neurology and nutrition to help her own autistic son.
The GAPS diet brings together the best of the dietary aspects that are helpful for both gut dysfunction and mental or developmental issues. This brings together aspects of the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate diet), gluten and casein free approaches, restoring digestive balance, and clearing toxins.
This approach is also effective for allergies, sensitivities, digestive dysfunction and many other physiological conditions.
The GAPS protocol is based on the principles that to heal the illness the gut needs to be repaired and the gut flora rebalanced. It may be suitable for the following types of conditions, and more:
- Food, chemical or respiratory allergies / sensitivities
- IBS, Constipation, diarrhoea, bloating, colitis, Crohns or other digestive disorders, including colic in babies
- Asthma, eczema, thrush, bed wetting
- ADHD, ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, aspergers or other learning, social or behavioural issues
- Depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Chronic fatigue, arthritis, ankylosing spondilitis, lupus or an autoimmune issue
See a full list on the Symptoms page.