- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- Grated or finely chopped vegetables of your choice: eg. carrots, zucchini, broccoli
- 500-600gm beef or lamb mince
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian or Mixed dried herbs (or 1 Tbs mixed fresh herbs, if you have them)
Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the vegetables and sauté till just cooked. Tip out of the pan into a bowl. Add the mince to the pan, and brown it, breaking it up into small pieces with the spatula as you go. Add the salt, tomato paste and herbs. Simmer for a few minutes till mince is cooked. Add back the vegetables, and stir till warmed through.
Vary this by using different types of mince, and different vegetables. If you’ve got two big frypans, you can sauté the vegetables in one pan, and the mince in the other, then mix together, to reduce the cooking time.
Serve with mashed potato or kumera, basic brown rice, or on toast. Leftovers on toast is especially good for breakfast.