I love baby beetroot, and we got some picked fresh from my sister’s garden last week. I turned them into a beetroot dip which we served with fish for dinner.
- Baby beetroot (5 of them made a dip that served 2 of us for 2 dinners)
- Cultured cream, homemade yoghurt or yoghurt “cheese” (ie after dripping out the whey). For a dairy free option, homemade mayo would probably work fine.
- A little himalayan or celtic sea salt
You can add extra flavourings, though I didn’t this time. Some possibilities (choose one only!):
- Horseradish cream is a classic addition (check for non-GAPS ingredients)
- I’ve used PureWasabi by Coppersfolly as a horseradish substitute before
- Lemon juice, ground cumin, ground coriander seed, crushed garlic
- Or just the lemon juice and cumin
Trim the beetroot, leaving about a 1cm of stalk and tail. Wash well, but leave the skins on. Put into a pan and cover with cold water and a little sea salt. Simmer till they can be pierced with a skewer, approx 45-60 minutes, depending on size. Drain off the water and cover them with cold water, till they’re cold enough to handle. Slice off the two ends, and you’ll be able to slip the skins right off.
Put into food processor with a couple of tablespoons of the sour cream or yoghurt, and zizz. Add more sour cream till it comes to a good consistency, and seasonings to taste. (Sorry, I didn’t measure anything). I didn’t even take a photo, the one above is pinched from another site. But it’s there so you can get a rough idea of what the colour and consistency will look like.
This would make a lovely Xmas dinner starter, with a bowl of guacamole and maybe a third bowl of chicken liver pate. Make some biscotti from starch free bread, or cut up some vege sticks or chunks to go with it.