Basic recipe from Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon
Mix together in food processor till well blended :
- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbs whey (optional)
- 1 ½ Tbs lemon juice
- generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp Dijon style mustard
With the motor running, add one drop at a time:
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Once about a 1/3 of the oil has been added, you’ll be able to add the rest in a small stream. If it starts to get very thick before you add all the oil, you don’t need to use it all. Keep at room temperature for 7 hours, then refrigerate. If you’ve used whey, it should keep for several months. Without, it will last about two weeks.
Avocado or nut mayo:
- If you find olive oil too strong, replace the olive oil with cold pressed avocado, walnut, macadamia or high oleic safflower oil. Each of these will give a very different flavour to the mayo.
- Add 1-2 cloves crushed garlic instead of the mustard
- Add 1 Tbs curry powder. Use this to make a chicken salad with cold diced chicken, organic green grapes, fresh bean sprouts and crispy cashews. Or add you favourite salad vegetables, and try out different crispy nuts, such as walnuts or slivered almonds.
Or, if you want a curry dressing and don’t want to wait till mayo is ready, try this yoghurt variation:
- 1 cup thick yoghurt (or use yoghurt or kefir cheese that hasn’t quite finished draining)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs finely grated lemon or orange rind
This is also nice with vegetarian patties.