Gluten free pancakes are often very hard to handle, but coconut flour based ones are much easier. Using a combination of coconut flour, ground almonds and arrowroot gives a nice texture. If you need to be starch free, omit the arrowroot, and add a bit more ground almonds.
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs raw milk, yoghurt or coconut cream
- 2 Tbs (1 oz) butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbs sifted coconut flour
- 2 Tbs ground almonds
- 2 Tbs arrowroot
- Pinch sea salt
Beat together well, then cook in the usual way. This amount makes 4 medium size pancakes or about 8 pikelets, so adjust the qty as needed.
These are a bit harder to turn, so make smaller ones, more like pikelet size
- Apple pancakes – add ½ grated apple and some cinnamon
- Banana pancakes – replace milk with a small (or ½ large) mashed banana and a pinch of nutmeg . Serve with sliced banana or maple syrup, and bacon.
- Cheesy pancakes – add a handful of grated cheese Vegetable fritters – add grated veges such as carrot or zucchini